Good manners are very necessary to have for a person in order to live a happy, disciplined and peaceful life as well as get success in any field. Teachers generally assign their students to write something (paragraph, short essay or long essay) on good manners in the classroom during class tests or exam. It is a nice topic which can help students to be aware of all the good manners as well as encourage them to inculcate such manners. So, we have provided here various paragraphs, short essays and long essays on good manners under different word limits. You can select any of the good manners paragraph or good manners essay according to your need and requirement.
Essay on Good Manners
Good Manners Essay 1 (100 words)
Good manner means having polite or well-bred social behavior by the people. Having good manners in life matters a lot for living a social life. It should be inculcated especially in children from childhood. Behaving in well or bad manner is the most important part of the human nature and life. Good manners help us in getting respect and dignity in the society whereas bad manners defame us. Good manners help us to develop good habits which improve the physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being (thus overall development of the society) of person. A well behaving man, having all the good manners, is becomes the important citizen in the society as he never hurts the feelings of others.
Good Manners Essay 2 (150 words)
Good manner is the well behaving manner of the person which adds good impression on others as well as gives good feeling and confidence about oneself. Practicing good manners is very important for all of us and it is good if we do it from childhood with the help of parents and guardians. We must follow all the good manners whether we are at home, school, college, office, tourist places, or with friends.
Good manners are more than opening doors and writing thank you notes. Being polite and courteous to others shows our real behavior, thinking and mind level. It attracts people’s mind and attention if they get respect from us. Being a well behaved person, we set a standard for others too which encourage them to practice good manner and behave well. It is not easy to follow all the good manners for everyone however can be easily followed after practicing well.
Good Manners Essay 3 (200 words)
Man is considered as the most intelligent creation of God on the earth as he lives in the society as well as he has capacity to think, talk and act accordingly. So, he must know how to behave well and practice good manners to behave well with others in the society. Parents must teach their kids how should they behave with family members, neighbors, teachers, etc and respect the views of others. Being a well behaved person, one must be polite, gentle, disciplined, and sweet. Some people behave well with sweet words only in front but behind they talk bad, that is not the good manner.
Good manners help a person to show the same character; both, in front and behind of people. The words and behavior of a good mannered person never changes and remain same in all conditions. Well mannered people know well that how to show or explain the bitter truth with sweet words. People, who lack good manners generally, have sharp and clever tongue. Bad people always behave roughly and abuse others without any reason. They never hesitate to behave badly in the society. They show that they lack a good culture, society and discipline, thus they hated everywhere. And good mannered people are honored everywhere.
Good Manners Essay 4 (250 words)
Good manner can be defined as behaving well with courtesy and politeness to show correct public behaviour to the people living in society. Some of the good manners are like polite, courteous, humble, respectful and well-cultured social behavior found in some people. Any of the men or women is distinguished and recognized in the society by his/her good manners. A person is known in the society not only for his intelligence but also for his behavior and manners.
Importance of Good Manners in our Life
Good manners are very important in our daily and every parent must teach their children the good manners and importance of them in life. Good manners are required to create an effective interaction with friends as well as make a good impression on them. It helps us to remain positive throughout the day. We must use the magic words like “sorry”, “please”, “thank you”, “excuse me”, etc whenever required without getting late in order to maintain a happy relationship. Parents must help their kids to essentially practice such words to behave well in everyday life. These words show the feeling of sorry, happy, appreciation and respect to the people.
Good manner open the door to new conversation with people and opportunities in life. If someone talks to you with rudeness, don’t talk him in his way, just talk him in your way of behaving well as rudeness creates rudeness.
Practicing good manners is necessary to be a great and noble personality in the society. It maintains the positivity in our soul and mind. Our good behavior shows our ideal force of character. We should show respect and reverence to people to create positive interaction.
Good Manners Essay 5 (300 words)
Good manners are very necessary in life as they help us to behave well in the society with people as well as help us to maintain smooth, easy and positive relationship. Good manners help us to win the heart of people in the crowd and give us a unique personality. Good manner makes us person of pleasing and obeying nature which is genuinely loved and appreciated by all in the society.
What are Good Manners
A person with good manners shows respects towards feelings and sentiments of people living around. He/she never differentiates people and shows equal regard and kindness to everyone whether elder or younger than him. Modesty and courtesy are the essential traits of a well behaving person. He/she never feel proud or arrogant and always take care of the feelings of other people. Practicing good manners and following them all through the day bring sunshine and add qualities to the life. He/she always becomes mentally happy as good manners enrich his/her personality.
Teaching good manners to all the students is a boon to them and country from parents and teachers as they are the bright future. Lack of good manners among youths of the country lead them at the wrong path. Practicing good manners cost nothing but pay us a lot all through the life. Some of the good manners are like:
- Thank you: we must say thank you whenever we receive anything from someone.
- Please: we must say please while requesting for something to others.
- We should always support people who are in pain.
- We should always accept the mistakes and say sorry without hesitation.
- We should be disciplined and punctual in daily life.
- We should always compliment others for their good behaviour and qualities.
- We must listen to people very attentively who are talking to us.
- We should take permission before touching or using the things of someone else.
- We should always respond with a smile to other’s questions.
- We should never interrupt between the meetings of elders and must wait for our turn.
- We must be respectful to the elders (whether in family, relationship or neighbors), parents and teachers.
- Excuse me: we must say excuse me while getting attention for something.
- We must knock the door before entering to other’s home or bedroom.
Good manners are vital to us for getting popularity and success in life as nobody likes a mischief person. Good manners are like tonic to the people living in society as practicing them take nothing but benefits a lot whole life. People with polite and pleasant nature are always asked by the large number of people as they put magnetic influence over them. Thus, we must practice and follow good manners.
Good Manners Essay 6 (400 words)
Good manner is very significant to the people living in society. People can be benefited from the good manners in many ways at home, school, office or other places. People with good manners must have courtesy, politeness and respect to others and themselves too. Good manner is all which we behave well with others with humble respect. Bad behaviour never gives happy feelings to self and others. Just think that how sad and disrespected we will feel when someone is talking to our friend and turning his back to us.
Good mannered people are always liked and get respect and fame in the society as they behave well in same manner with all (good or bad). They consider the feelings of other people and always become kind. Teachers teach the lesson of good manners to their students in the classroom and instruct them to follow all that at all places forever. Parents also should help their kids at home to learn good manners properly as what kids learn in their childhood carry all through the life. We must first behave to others like what we wish in return from others. According to the Golden Rule “We should treat people the way we would like other people to treat us”. If we treat people with respect, we too will be treated in the same way by them.
Following good manners everywhere we go, we can better encourage people to behave well in the same manner to everyone. Some of the important good manners we can practice in our daily life are like:
- We must learn the habit of sharing (but not grabbing) things to others.
- We should be helpful, polite and humble to others at all places.
- We must use ‘sorry’, ‘please’, ‘thank you’, ‘excuse me’ and ‘time wish’ whenever required.
- We must respect the property of others and always take permission before using.
- We must help our family members in completing their chores.
- We must be responsible and self dependent for everything whether at home or outside the home.
- We must behave well with humble respect to our teachers, parents, other elders and senior citizens.
- We should not interfere between elder’s talk and must wait for our turn.
- We should hold the door open when someone is coming in and must hold his/her load if he/she is carrying something.
- We should maintain cleanliness at home, school, and all other public places.
- We should not use offensive language to others at home or public place.
- We must leave the seat for senior citizens while using public transport.
- We should never make fun of anyone as everyone has feelings and respect.
- We should not use mobile phone unnecessarily while being in group or public place.
- We should chew food properly and don’t talk to anyone while eating.
Following good manners not only increase the respect in people’s mind but also make us pleasant from inside. It creates the good impression in society, school, sports team, friends group and family. Life becomes much more pleasant day by day. Practicing good manners take nothing but give much more all through the life. We must practice good manners as well as encourage others to practice for the welfare of oneself, family, society and nation.
Paragraph on Good Manners
Origin of the proverb.
The origin of the proverb ‘manners maketh man’ is often said to be in the writings of a man called William Horman, who lived between 1440 and 1535. Horman was the headmaster at Eton School in England and he also taught at Winchester School in England.
Horman wrote a book known as the ‘Vulgaria’: the book’s title is a Latin word, which can be loosely translated as ‘everyday sayings’ or ‘common sayings’. Widely attested to be his most important work, the Vulgaria is a collection of common proverbs, and among them is ‘manners maketh man’.
However, the principle behind the Vulgaria is that Horman was writing down proverbs that were already in common use. Thus, it is very likely that this proverb was already popular in Britain before Horman wrote it down: it may have been in existence for centuries before Horman was born.
Meaning of the proverb.
The proverb ‘manners maketh man’ means that politeness and good manners are essential to humanity. Manners means being polite and cultured. Maketh here means to complete, perfect, or create. Man refers not just to men but to all humankind. So, the proverb is extolling the virtues of good manners.
This proverb is thus often used as a way to remind people to be polite. Good manners can apply to several aspects of human life, including how we speak, the words we use, our tone of voice, our gestures and our actions.
Sometimes, this proverb is taken to mean that good manners are what distinguish humans from animals. They are, quite literally, what ‘make’ us human.
The idea that manners ‘make’ human beings can be unpacked further. If make means to make perfect, good manners are the finishing touches to a human’s personality and behavior. If make means to create, the proverb is suggesting that humans are definitively created by their manners.
Yet another interpretation of the proverb has to do with habit. The proverb could be interpreted to mean that good manners or social codes of conduct shape our personalities, and that habitually acting in a certain way starts to mold and shape our personality. According to this interpretation, good manners are not just ornaments to our lives, but they actually shape how we think.
It is clear, then, that there are several different ways of understanding this proverb. All of them broadly agree that the proverb means that good manners are very important to human nature. But, depending on the interpretation, this importance could be due to any one of the below:
- Good manners’ ability to distinguish humans from animals.
- Good manners being a core part of what it is to be a good human.
- Good manners’ power to make a good person even better.
- Good manners’ power to shape our personalities.
Expansion on this idea.
Good manners may relate to older ideas about civilization. Humans have, historically, often been differentiated from other species because humans are civilized. Good manners are, it might be argued, one of the things that make us civilized. On this reading, good manners are an essential aspect of our humanity.
People have debated throughout the ages whether it is true that good manners are more than just an ornament. For some people, our manners do not have any bearing on whether we are truly good people: on this argument, we can do kind and good acts in an impolite way. These people believe that whether or not we say ‘please’ or ‘thank you’ is not a deep question about how good we are.
However, for other people, how polite and civilized we are in our dealings with others does indicate something about how good a person we are. Perhaps this is because good manners demonstrate a sense of respect for other human beings: this kind of respect is at the core of many systems of morality.
Whether or not they are essential to what makes us human, good manners play an important role in keeping all aspects of social life running smoothly. Being polite and thoughtful avoids arguments. Respectful manners help us to work well with our colleagues.
Importance of the proverb.
1. Social lubrication: Good manners – for instance saying ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ – are often described as ‘social lubrication’. This means that politeness helps society to run smoothly as it helps social interactions to go without a hitch.
2. Preventing conflict: It is amazing how much conflict can be prevented simply by being polite when we make requests of others. When we demand overbearingly that other people do something for us, they can often respond with hostility. But, when we ask politely and respectfully, they are more likely to see us as an ally.
3. The importance of outward conduct: The proverb ‘manners maketh man’ reminds us that it is important to behave in a way that demonstrates our respect for others. Of course, some people might argue that all that matters is that you are a good person inside. However, if we concentrate on demonstrating that goodness through good manners, our kind thoughts shine through for all the world to see.
4. Being part of society: Good manners are often described as being ‘civilized’. When we adhere to the notion that ‘manners maketh man’, we acknowledge that we belong to part of a civilized society in which we must all bear each other’s needs in mind and take care of each other.
5. Resolving disputes: Sometimes all that it takes to end an argument is to take a step back and introduce a more polite and respectful tone into the conversation.
6. Personal development: Remembering the proverb ‘manners maketh man’ can encourage us to attend to our personal development both in terms of our outward behavior and our inner life.
7. Making a good impression: Other people cannot read our minds, but they can see our behavior and observe our manners. If we want to make a good impression on others (whether in a professional context as we network with business contacts, or whether in a personal context as we make new friends), ensuring that we always act with good manners is a very good idea. First impressions count, and very often people react to good manners in a positive way without consciously realizing how much those good manners affected them.
This proverb is centuries old, and it reminds us to pay attention to the way in which we act in society. Many people would argued that good manners are essential if we want to demonstrate our respect for other people and to make a good impression on everyone that we meet. Having good manners is very important if everyone in society is to coexist in peace and harmony.
Category: Proverbs, Sayings, Idioms and Phrases