The Dickens Sanomi Annual Essay Competition
Dickens Sanomi was an avid writer and kept a personal diary for almost fifty years. Inspired by his love of the written word, the Dickens Sanomi Foundation organises an annual essay competition for Nigerian secondary school pupils.
Advertised in the Nigerian national press, past competitions have attracted as many over 1000 entries in 2015 from throughout the country, divided between two categories of junior and senior secondary school students. Judging is carried out by professional authors and representatives of the publishing industry who kindly donate their time.
First prize for the winner of each category is a grant towards their school fees. Additionally, the schools attended by the winners receive a project grant to spend on facilities such as computer equipment, or whatever they choose.
Prizes are allotted during an award ceremony in Abuja that is attended by leading figures from the worlds of publishing and education, plus of course the Nigerian national press.
Read the LATEST NEWS about the DSF Essay competition:
View the Winners and Guests at the DSF Essay Competition 2015 Prizegiving Ceremony
The Dickens Sanomi Foundation announces the 2015 winners
Special Guests announced to attend the prize giving ceremony
Images from past ceremonies are available in the gallery.
2011 Annual Essay Competition Gallery.
2012 Annual Essay Competition Gallery.
2013 Annual Essay Competition Gallery.
2014 Annual Essay Competition Gallery.
2015 Annual Essay Competition Gallery.
Past Competitions and Winners
- JFTC Essay Competition 2017
- "The Ideal Future Free Trade System – Tasks and Solutions –"
- JFTC Essay Competition 2016
- "Searching for a New Initiative in Global Trade and the Role of Japanese Companies"
- JFTC Essay Competition 2015
- "Promoting Globalization within Japan:
An action plan to attract overseas investment, human resources, and other resources"
- JFTC Essay Competition 2014
- Topic 1 — Future of the “SHOSHA” in the Global Economy
Topic 2 — Toward Developing Japan’s “Resources” by 2020: A Strategy for Utilizing Them for the Benefit of the World
- JFTC Essay Competition 2013
- “Japan's policy direction in the global economy
－ Growth strategy to revitalize the economy and Japan's contribution to the world －”
- JFTC Essay Competition 2012
- “Strategies for a Depopulating Japan”
- JFTC Essay Competition 2011
- “Vision for a New Japan after 3.11”
- JFTC Essay Competition 2010
- “Reconstruction of Japan: Prescription to Transcend a Downsized Japan”
- JFTC Essay Competition 2009
- "How Should Global Capitalism be Corrected - Japan' s Role and Mission"
- JFTC Essay Competition 2008
- "The Possibility of 'Japanese-Style Business Models' for Preserving the Earth"
- JFTC Essay Competition 2007
- "Global Capitalism and Japanese Companies"
- JFTC Essay Competition 2006
- "The Potential of Brand Japan"
- JFTC Essay Competition 2005
- "Globalization and Japanese Companies"